04 June 2010

It was an easier day today.  School started at the Holiday Holiday @9am, for a 4 hour product lecture & demo from B&H Photo and Bogen Distributors.  Much of it was interesting, some not.  The long discussion of tripod legs and heads was too long and a bit of a hard sale approach for me, although if you knew nothing about either a tripod or the head it may have been interesting.  I got excted about the new line of Kata Bags that have just been released, and with our educational discount at B&H, I am seriously thinking of buying a new sling bag.  The cool thing about the bag is that it can function as either a sling bag or a backpack.  The versatility is endless!

After the session at the hotel, we had the rest of the day free!  I immediately came home, had lunch and look the best nap that I have ever taken.  Well, maybe not, but it sure felt that way.

The first Friday of each month, Missoula has an art walk (O.K. Half Moon Bay..what about it? If Missoula MT can have a really successful art walk once a month, why can't HMB?). The timing couldn't have been better, because 3 former SI (summer intensive) students were having openings tonight.   At the  RMSP Gallery :


Richard's work is unique and inspiring and FUN!  He created several 3 dimensional pieces that began as 2 dimensional action shoots, but morphed into a 3D block photo pieces.   Rita's landscape photos are breathtaking.  They both graduated from SI last year!

Then I waked over to the Missoula Art Museum, that had an exhibit of Josh Meier's photography.   Josh took SI in 1991 in the days when the school was primarily teaching the "old-fashioned" way-shooting with film and processing it in the darkroom.  Josh's photographs are stark and a bit disturbing but speak to me in the same way that Eileen Rafferty's does.  There is something about how these 2 photographers see the world and have that vision translated into art that touches me deeply and makes me believe that I am in the right place to begin my journey. 



 

No comments: