23 August 2010

21 days since my last blog posting

I graduated from Summer Intensive on August 12th-which seems like a month ago.  Graduation was good closure for SI-which was intensive beyond words.  I know that I learned more than I could possibly ever process in 11 weeks, and I feel confident that it will come begin getting absorbed into my photographic dna over the next few months.

 photo collage by Ann Schroeder


The summer was full of the ebb and flow of emotions for me, and it seems, everyone else.  Often I didn't even feel like I was here-my days became dreamlike and I floated through on little but willpower, being depleted by lack of sleep, proper diet/exercise and the added stress of living in a mad woman's house.

I finished my final project-3 20X20 images of Bailey the Boxer and cried when I presented the project to my classmates.  I cried because I missed my dogs and was emotionally exhausted.  Here is my statement:

DOGS have been a central part of my life for as long as I can remember.  They have been protector, confidant, best friend & someone to tell my secrets to when there was no one else I could trust to hold them.  They have comforted me when I was inconsolable and have offered me solace in times of darkness and confusion.

I asked a few of my friends to tell me why they share their lives with dogs, and here are some of their responses:

“Unconditional love”

“Dedication! Loyalty. No matter what kind of a day I have had my 4 legged friend will always make me smile”

“Bailey reminds me daily what is means to give unconditional love and that a lick to the face can cure all that ails.”

“Her ability for forgiveness & Loyalty. She never asks any questions. She is Non Judgmental & Always happy to see me. She makes me feel better when I’ve had a bad day.” When she looks at me with those big eyes and her tail wags she melts my heart.”

“A species that has been so domesticated that they will join our families, will communicate with us in languages we haven't learned, and will happily do what we don't even expect of ourselves: DOG. Dog is Love.”

“I love puppy kisses…. I love the unconditional love a dog gives you…. I love the way her whole body wages when she is excited to see me…. I love her!”

“Dog is God spelled backward”

“They see things in us that we can not see”

“Dogs are proof that God does exist”

“It's either because their unwavering devotion and unconditional love inspires me to do the same, or because I am insane...”


Me too

Judy and Donna came to my graduation, as did Ann (who was here finishing up a RMSP class).  It was comforting to have them all here, particularly when I had been feeling quite lonely.  The weekend of graduation I moved off Kellie's couch at the Wilma and into my new house for the remainder of my time in Missoula.  I love my new house and I know that I will be very happy here!  Kellie left me her bike, and I have been riding at least 4 times a week. 


Last week I took a one week class from Allison Leach in Editorial Photography.  It was a challenging week for me.  We only had 3 shoots and 2 critiques, and I wished for more.  The setups/lighting and models were not inspiring to me and I felt creatively depleted.  In the end, I think that I got some decent images, but nothing that I loved. 

I am now in my second Pro Studies class this week-Documentary Photography-taught by Billy Howard.  After only one day in class, I know that I am going to get a fantastic education in doc photography.  Billy is a deeply sensitive man who brings his passion to his photography.  It is evident by looking at his images and hearing him speak.  It is going to be a great week.



No comments: